UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST NETWORK
OF GREATER HOUSTON
1. Name. The name of the organization shall be the Unitarian Universalist Network of Greater Houston hereafter referred to as the UU Network.
2. Representation. The UU Network is a representative body consisting of the Unitarian Universalist societies of the Greater Houston area which hold membership in the Unitarian Universalist Association.
3. Purpose. The purpose of the UU Network shall be;
- To promote communication between its member societies.
- To strengthen the commitment to Unitarian Universalist in the Greater Houston area.
- To promote and coordinate activities which can be better accomplished by mutual effort.
4. Representatives. Each Unitarian Universalist society is entitled to three delegates on the UU Network Council. The delegates shall be responsible for establishing and implementing objectives and programs that further the purpose of the UU Network. Individual delegates shall ensure to the greatest practicable extent that their actions relative to these programs are consistent with the wishes of their societies, and that their society is informed of significant program progress. The Board of each society will approve the delegation for two-year terms. The two-year terms will be on a calendar basis. Unexpired terms will be filled also by the Boards. Societies with 400 members will be entitled to an additional delegate. Societies with 600 members will be entitled to five delegates, with this being the maximum number of delegates per society. The minister of each society will be a Special Delegate and will be entitled to vote if a regular delegate from their society does not attend the meeting.
5. Voting. Decisions by the UU Network shall be by simple majority of those delegated present at regularly scheduled meetings, or at special meetings when two days prior notification to all delegates has been given. A quorum shall consist of one-third (1/3) of the delegates provided that one-half (1/2) of the societies are represented.
6. Officers. The UU Network Council shall select it own officers for one-year terms at its first meeting of the calendar year. Officers of the Council shall be President, VicePresident, Secretary, and Treasurer.
The duties of the officers are:
- a. To preside at meetings;
- b. To prepare meeting agenda;
- c. To appoint special task force chairpersons.
- a. Shall be the President-elect;
- b. To preside in the absence of the President;
- c. To assist the President.
- a. To take minutes of the meetings;
- b. To be keeper of the records.
- a. To prepare a proposed budget in consultation with the President;
- b. To keep the funds;
- c. To prepare checks for signature.
- d. To provide the Council with quarterly financial statements.
7. Funding. Operating cost of the UU Network shall be shared by the member societies. Annual dues shall be $1 per member per society payable in March each year. Any additional funding can only be generated through fund raising of the UU Network.
8. Revisions. These By-Laws may be amended by the affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the delegates. However, if at least three delegates, two of whom are from different societies, so request, proposed amendments of the By-Laws must be referred to the Boards of Directors (or equivalent) of each member society. They shall become effective only when approved by two-thirds (2/3) of the Boards of Directors.
9. Dissolution. In the event of dissolution other than through bankruptcy or receivership proceedings, and real property or assets belonging to the UU Network or in which the UU Network has a beneficial or future interest, shall be transferred in equal parts to the Unitarian Universalist societies of the Greater Houston area which hold membership in the Unitarian Universalist Association, after payment of or provision for all debts of the UU Network. None of such property or assets shall ever revert to or become the property of any delegate or officer of the UU Network.
Revised March 1994
Revised June 1997